Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Story Behind "Red and the Peanut"

My blog is named after my first bird memory. When I was about 6, I was at my Great Aunt Mary's house, and she was telling me about Red and the peanut. "Red" was a Northern Cardinal that had trained Aunt Mary to feed it peanuts on demand.  At a certain time in the morning, Red would tap on the window near her covered back porch until Aunt Mary would put peanuts out for him. I remember sitting at a table on the porch as she told me. Right now, I can peep out of my office and see the exact table. My dad restored it for me years ago, and it’s been with me ever since. It's a small, round oak table with legs that end in eagle talons grasping clear crystal balls. Aunt Mary's "Red" started it all, so what better name could I choose for my blog?


5 comments:

Diane said...

I remember Red, too. It was a bright friendship for Aunt Mary. I'll see if I can get some pictures - the little Black Cap chickadee is still my favorite - with the big Pelican coming in second!

Kelly said...

You're my first comment! Black-capped chickadees are my favorite too. I'll post a lot about them.

Diane said...

Kelly - many thanks for the cool pictures of the "favorite birds"!

Eve said...

Hi Kelly! I love the story behind "Red and the Peanut". You posts are a colorful as your pictures. I love the claw foot of this table. Just perfect!!

Kelly said...

...thank you Eve....I just found this post (in December). Looks like you left it in March!