Monday, January 12, 2009

Great Horned Owl Hooting Outside our Window

We've lived in this house for ten years, and this is the first time I've ever heard an owl calling. At 2:06 a.m. while I was reading (Beatrix Potter, of course) I heard his first call and froze mid-sentence. It sounded wonderful. I got up, doused the lights, and peered out the window but saw nothing but the blue glow of light snowfall. I think it was a pair calling back and forth, so I hopped online to check the call. If you go to this site and listen for "Pair Calling" under Great Horned Owl, you will hear exactly what I heard. They continued to call until 2:25 a.m. At 2:31 a.m. I gave up. Here is an entry on Susan Gets Native from Dec 4, 2008 that talks about them.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Hi Kelly,
It's that time of year for Great Horned Owls. We have had a pair calling from trees near our yard for well over a month now. They were out last night and I gave my birdpod through an open window(at 10 degrees out too!)a try and one answered back. I still can't seem to locate it. The neighbors know we're the 'Bird People', but don't like the flashlights in their trees...
Dave

Kelly said...

...I just laughed at your description. I think we're known as the "Bird People" too. I thought about shining the flashlight around, but then thought again--2:30 in the a.m. is a bit iffy. I waited up last night, but nothing. Maybe they will be back tonight. I'll have my iPod by the bed, ready to answer back.