Thursday, January 29, 2009

I know there's a seed in here somewhere...


Red really seems to like the fruit, but if you notice, he’s leaving the skin and pulp behind and going for the seeds inside.


Cardinals and grosbeaks have bills strong enough to crack hard seed shells and tend to ignore the pulp and skin.




On Tuesday, this guy perched right outside my living room window in the crabapple tree. Unfortunately, there were not many crabapples this year due to the horrible ice storm that killed most of the blossoms last year. Yesterday, another ice storm swept through, encasing the few remaining crabapples in ice. Luckily he noticed them Tuesday!

6 comments:

Kim said...

What great pictures. I am glad there were some remaining crab apples for him to get the seeds out of.

That is the one tree I want to plant this year because it usually has fruit for the birds in the winter. I had no idea cardinals would find them appealing as well.

Roy said...

Huh! Talk about a picky eater! My parents would have made him stay at the table until he'd eaten all of it.

Chris said...

Hi Kelly,
I love this bird. I have never seen it but it is wonderful. Your pictures are awesome and I love the text you added. Thanks for sharing

Kelly said...

Kallen: Thanks. I was able to shoot this guy through the living room window, so i could get really close. The tree is beautiful in spring as well when it comes into blossom.
Roy: Hehe! I'll watch to see if something comes along and eats the remaining skin and pulp...that would be efficient!
Chris: The Northern Cardinal is such a striking bird, especially in winter against a white backdrop of snow! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Nice work. I've never know this about Cardinals.

Kelly said...

Thanks Steve...after witnessing the behavior, I did some research to find out why. I love learning new things too!