Friday, January 30, 2009

...a Cooper's Hawk is in the ice house.

Matty and I are housebound again today, so Rick (The Spotter) came home to say hi and pick up an extra hard drive. As he swept through the kitchen, he spotted a juvenile Cooper’s Hawk on the willow and grabbed the camera. I told him because of all his recent spotting activity I was changing his name from The Spotter to just "Spot." Spot is shorter and easier to write and will save me time with the blog (he just smiled, the joy of being a blog character). 

The Cooper’s Hawk, looking regal, surrounded by ice. 

The willow branches are drooping more than usual, and several branches have snapped. It doesn’t look like the ice will clear anytime soon, and more snow is on the way for Monday (more snow days from school? Matty will be happy).

7 comments:

Kim said...

What a really nice photo. I love how you were able to capture the ice on the branches as well.

Chris said...

Well what should we ask more than Ice, snow and bird at the same place... And a hawk indeed... Well done the picture is very nice and I like its attitude...

Kelly said...

Kallen: Thanks! I'll let Rick know. He took that one. I wish I could claim it. I love the look in his eye and as Chris says in the next comment, "his attitude."
Chris: Thank you! The ice is beautiful. The sun came out for a brief period today and was breathtaking...like crystal. I'm sure a lot of people were out photographing today.

Roy said...

There are two Coopers, a male and a female, in Ballard Park where I like to hang out. They're very people-shy, though. It's a good thing Rick was quick on the draw!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a beautiful bird, Kelly! I love Red and the Peanut... it's my favorite bird blog! I made my own blog about birds... can you check it out for me? If you would I will be extremely grateful!(:> (That's supposed to be a bird :P)

This is the URL: avesbirdblog.blogspot.com

See ya' there! :D

Anonymous said...

Hey Kelly, beautiful hawk you got there! I love this blog so much, it's the best bird blog out there! I was hoping if you would be interested in visiting my blog... I made it a few days ago. Here is the URL:

avesbirdblog.blogspot.com

See ya' there! (:> (That's supposed to be a bird :P)