Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Midwest Birding Symposium...hope to see you in Lakeside, Ohio!

Later this month, I'm heading up to Lakeside, Ohio (half way between Toledo and Cleveland) for the 2011 Midwest Birding Symposium! I went to the event two years ago and had a wonderful time. It was the first time I had ever been surrounded by hundreds of people who love birds! It was a totally unique experience. If you love birds, and you're close by, sign up...and look for me!

p.s. If you go to Lakeside, you'll see lots and lots of this gorgeous bird...

Caspian Tern (Sterna caspia) - Watercolor and Graphite Pencil Field Sketch.
I sketched this fellow out quickly near Marblehead Lighthouse at the last Midwest Birding Symposium (9-17-09). It was a gorgeous day and one Caspian Tern after another was flying by.


The Pavilion and Pier at Lakeside, Ohio, on Lake Erie
Lakeside was founded in 1873. The streets are lined with historic Victorian-style homes and buildings. The town is perched on Lake Erie and fabulous birding spots are all over, including Magee Marsh and the Black Swamp Bird Observatory!

...the boardwalk at Magee Marsh at sunset.

...a Green Heron hunting at sunset. He was just off the Magee Marsh boardwalk and the light was fading fast! Click here for more photos of this fellow.




Something new this year, you will find a booth at the back of Hoover Auditorium for the Carbon Offset Bird Project (COBP). COBP is an experimental program put together by birders to help offset all the fossil fuel we burn riding here and there searching out birds. The project is being launched this September at the Midwest Birding Symposium. I might be volunteering at the booth for an hour, so look me up! Click here for more information. The funds generated from this project will be used to purchase additional wetlands for Meadowbrook Marsh (click here for more info on Meadowbrook Marsh). You can also go to Cheryl Harner's blog, Weedpicker's Journal, for more information.

You can print and fill out the following form to help with the Meadowbrook Marsh Carbon Offset Bird Project:



Hope to see you in Lakeside, OH
at the 2011 Midwest Birding Symposium!

19 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

fabulous green heron shot! so envious! and the boardwalk too!

Guy said...

HI Kelly

What wonderful photos of the heron and Lakeside looks like a beautiful place for someone who loves birds to enjoy themselves.

Chris said...

Hope you will enjoy it!

Unknown said...

I so look forward to meeting you! Will be creating original art pieces there?! You should have your own booth.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Well---our timing is off. We're headed north (to NY) to see George's daughter and hubby next week--but won't get close to Lakeside... Just take lots of photos to share with us...
Hugs,
Betsy

Weedpicker Cheryl said...

I can't wait to show you Meadowbrook Marsh! Greg Miller and I will be there on Saturday AM!
Cheryl

Elaine said...

I love your painting of the tern! Enjoy your time at the symposium and take lots of photos.

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

I'll look for you Kelly! I can't wait-

donaldthebirder said...

I am going again this year, looking forward to it. I will look for you this year.

Lois Evensen said...

Have a wonderful time! We'll be far South by then. That Green Heron is just fabulous.

Dawn Fine said...

Have a Wonderful time Kelly! I will be following you and all the other bloggers at the symposium. :)

My capcha is Redifi :)

Warren and Lisa Strobel said...

Your tern is soooo beautiful!

Hilke Breder said...

Awesome sketch of the Caspian Tern. It looks so fresh! Have a wonderful, productive time at the birding festival! I wished I could go, but it's just too far

Montanagirl said...

Superb shot of the Heron! And your sketch of the Caspian Tern is amazing. It looks like a wonderful place to visit and go birding!

Out on the prairie said...

I have seen a few of those terns in the last few weeks. A nice event it sounds.

Kelly said...

...thanks, everyone! I know I'll have a good time there and am looking forward to meeting new birders, seeing Lake Erie, and birding in a new location!!

Elva Paulson said...

I love your tern painting ... so loose and free!

Ken Januski said...

Lovely tern field sketch. If I'd known what good looks we might get of them I might have tried a bit harder to find a way for us to get to symposium.

Kelly said...

...thanks, Elva!

...thanks, Ken...you would be surprised how close you can get to the birds, especially when you're out on the pier. Also...at Magee Marsh you can get really close. I'm looking forward to the birding there.