Friday, May 15, 2015

Our field sketching class at the Biggest Week...

...was awesome! We had so much fun, and one of the participants, Pam DiFazio, photographed the workshop and sent me photos to share. Usually the class is outside since it's a field sketching class, but with a cold front moving through, 20-mile an hour winds and temps in the high 40s drove us indoors. We were at Pearson Metropark, so it was easy to find shelter in the Window on Wildlife (WOW) bird blind. What a perfect location! It was warm and toasty, but with all the windows, it was like being outside. For all the "non-artists" that walked in to the class, everyone walked out artists with the skills needed to observe nature and sketch what they see...

Looking through the "Window on Wildlife" at Pearson Metropark. The bird blind offered us a comfortable place to learn field sketching skills.

If you can draw a flower...you can draw a bird. We practice seeing geometric shapes in flowers and break away from what we think is there (symbols) and what we actually see.

...signing my field sketching book for Kim. 
(Thank you, Pam, for taking such wonderful photos! I love the unique angles you use, which add interest to all of your photos.)

John sketching birds using the "two circles and a triangle" method! :-)

Pam used time-lapse photography to record John drawing a cardinal.  COOL and fun!!

Thank you to all of the participants. I had fun, fun, fun, and it was amazing to see everyone drawing flowers and birds with ease by the end of the workshop. I have lots of memories tucked away from the class, including the "wiener bird," the "field sketching nomads," and "Aunt Mary Clare!"


I will be blogging about the Biggest Week over the next few weeks. The birds, the people, the events...everything about the Biggest Week is amazing!

15 comments:

Montanagirl said...

What a wonderful experience for "all" of you! Enjoyed this post, Kelly, and can't wait to see more photos of what you saw!

Rick Forrestal said...

What great work space and light to do your sketches.
Great pics, great post.

Sue said...

What a terrific spot to draw and what fun that must be to teach others .

Ana Mínguez Corella said...

Good work. Have a nice weekend

Laure Ferlita said...

Would love to have been there! Looks like a lot of fun!

Elaine said...

You found a great spot for your indoor class. I know I would have enjoyed it very much, as I'm sure all your students did. Hope you get warmer weather. We're supposed to be in the 70s all week, and I'm tackling the garden.

Kim Smith said...

Wow, Pam's photos really brought the workshop to life for the rest of us -- awesome! And the Window on Wildlife is a perfect place to hold that class, isn't it? So happy it went well and you had fun too.

Lois Evensen said...

How fun! :)

Janel said...

Kelly, your sketching class was so fun and informative! I am starting at the beginning of your Field sketching workbook. It lays out some very helpful steps. And thanks for all the sketching materials - I'm all set to go into the wild and sketch! ~ Janel

Claire M said...

How fun to hear about your sketching class. I bet it was a wonderful experience for all. I just wish I lived closer! Also, your workbook looks super interesting. Is there any way to order one?

Kathie Brown said...

Kelly, what fun! You make me wish I had been there!

Dave said...

Yo Kelly! Sorry we missed you. Next year maybe you'll be able to deal with us in your class...scary huh?
Loopy and The Doodles

Kelly said...

@Mona - thank you! :-)

@Rick - it was a wonderful place to sketch. Thank you! :-)

@Sue - :-) thanks!

@Ana - thanks! You too! :-)

@Laure - you would have had fun. It would have been like your classes only with pencil instead of watercolor! :-)

@Elaine - good luck with your garden! 70s sounds great. It has warmed up here...summer is on the way!

@Kim - thanks, Kim! The birds you've been drawing are great. (You need to draw the GBH with the fish!) :-)

@Lois - :-) thanks!

@Janel - thank you!!!! You did so well in the class. I can't wait to see some of your new sketches. Maybe I'll see you out in the wild! :-)

@Claire - thanks, Claire! Send me your address, and I'll get one to you.

@Kathie - you would have loved everyone in the class! Thanks, Kathie :-)

@Dave - you two would be great to have in class. It would be a hoot. Tell the Doodles I say, and I'll watch for you next year! :-)

Tammie Lee said...

this looks like so much fun Kelly! I love how you teach the shapes, something i have not really learned to do. I have only drawn a few birds and flowers but sometimes i struggle to get it just so. Did you created this book? Is it for sale? So glad you had a good time and i agree, the photos are taken from unique and wonderful angles.

Kelly said...

@Tammie Lee - Yes, I wrote it for the class. The second edition is in review right now. Thank you!! :-)