Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Interviewed by Erin Shaw on her TV show "Nature's Corner!"

I was recently interviewed by Erin Shaw, an ODNR park naturalist for Caesar Creek State Park, on the TV show "Nature's Corner." Erin is the host of the show and made the experience fun and exciting. Erin is a naturalist extraordinaire and this August was named the Ohio State Parks' Naturalist of the Year! I was so nervous on the show and worried my spazzzzy tendencies might show through, but Erin reigned me in and kept me in line. We talked about my book "Sketching in the Wild," made a little owl out of clay, visited with a Screech Owl, and talked about tips for photographing birds in winter. We also talked about the Little Miami River and how I draw much of my inspiration for paintings and photos from it.

A little Dark-eyed Junco from my backyard graces the splash screen of the TV show "Nature's Corner." Erin Shaw, the host of the show, interviewed me a few weeks ago about birds, field sketching, photography, and painting.

The show will air on Monday, November 24 on Lebanon's Channel 6. Daily airtimes are 8:00 am, 1:00 pm and 8:30 pm. You can watch the show anytime online by clicking here.  Also on the show is Ken Simmons who carves birds out of wood. He talks about his process for carving the birds, which is interesting. You can watch his segment, or just click on my name to skip ahead.

The first edition of my book, "Sketching in the Wild!" is completely sold out. I'm working on the second edition which will include a chapter on frogs, turtles, and snakes. It will be out by February. I'll post on the blog, when it's ready for purchase. 


Note:
If you want further instructions for the little owl I made in the video, click here for an older post with step-by-step directions.


15 comments:

Sue said...

I'll be looking forward to the release of your book--I "missed" the first run!

Anonymous said...

Kelly, that was a very nice segment on the tv show! It was so good to hear your calm and encouraging voice again. You got me all inspired to pull out my drawing kit, and I look forward to the revised version of your book. ~Kim

Roy Norris said...

A Great Artist, Photographer, Author, Blogger and a Great Lady.

Mary Ann Gieszelmann said...

Kelly, I saw you all the way out here in California! I loved seeing and hearing you and I so resonated with many of your comments--like, "It's not about the art you produce; it's about the journey."

Gillian Olson said...

Kelly I really enjoyed the demo on how to make the owl. Happy Thanksgiving!

Unknown said...

Kelly this was so good, I love the advice to breathe, observe, and silence your inner critic! Holds true for life in general!

Vickie said...

Great interview! I look forward to seeing the second edition of your book. I want one!

Janice K said...

Kelly, I am so happy for you. I hope I get to see one of your books sometime. You are so talented, and I am glad you are able to share your gifts in this way.

Tammie Lee said...

oh how wonderful, you have created a book! I watched your show, it was lovely to see you and hear all the things you shared. How wonderful to get to know you a little more after all these years.

Lois Evensen said...

Congratulations on your book and interview!

Margaret said...

I missed out on the first edition! Oh I am so following you closely and will get the "expanded" second edition. I have now started to become a "bird watcher" and am having such an interesting time! Congrats on your success with your book - your talent is awe inspiring.

E said...

Congratulations for your book and art, Kelita. Wonderful!
Feliz Navidad y nuevo 15!
Hugs and love.

E said...

Congratulations for your book and art, Kelita. Wonderful!
Feliz Navidad y nuevo 15!
Hugs and love.

E said...

Feliz Navidad, thanks for your wonderful card.
Hugs to all.
Love

G.Dowell said...

Was wondering if I am able to purchase your second edition somewhere. I'd love to buy a copy!