Friday, October 31, 2014

Snowbirds are on the scene again...

Rick won the who-sees-the-first-junco-of-autumn contest this year. Dog! Every autumn we watch for the first Dark-eyed Junco to show up in our yard. I've won the past 5 years, but Rick toppled my reign this year. Our little junkie flew in on Tuesday, October 25, 2014, which is the earliest arrival we've had. Is our snowbird predicting a colder and snowier winter than last year?

Our Dark-eyed Juncos have arrived! Let the snow fly...

This is the earliest date we've seen snowbirds in our yard. It's always exciting when they arrive, because we know the next season is underway. We've missed our little Dark-eyed Juncos!

…such a cute little junkie!

Our White-throated Sparrows flew in two weeks ago--the earliest by far! Does Mama Nature have something big planned for us this winter?

14 comments:

Sue said...

I love those sweet little birds. Always good to see them return.

We've had our first snow of the season. Last year it was Thanksgiving. This year--Halloween. "They" say it's not going to be a bad winter. Perhaps it's just practising????

Have a wonderful day!

Janice K said...

We could see some snow today, they say. I'll have to keep an eye out for the Juncos.

Have a great day!!

Kathy A. Johnson said...

Cute birds! I wonder about the coming winter...we've had remarkably cool, dry days the past two weeks, and we are going to have to blanket the horses tomorrow night--the earliest I've ever known us to need to do that. We shall see what winter holds for us :)!

Rohrerbot said...

Gorgeous captures of the Junco. I'm looking forward to the winter visitors:)

Penny said...

What a beautiful little bird.

Anonymous said...

Love the pics, Kelly. It reminds me of the Junco you helped me draw last May in our sketching workshop!

I sure hope we don't have a repeat of last year, when we had more cold AND more snow. I could take one or the other, just not both at the same time, LOL.

Stay warm! ~Kim

E said...

Very kively birds, Kelita, Happy Halloween, love. E.

Roy said...

None here yet, at least that I've seen. I'll have to keep an eye out.

Lois Evensen said...

What a little sweetheart! :)

Roy Norris said...

Hope you don't get too much snow Kelly.

Kelly said...

…thanks, Roy! We already got our first dusting Halloween night! Hopefully that's not an indication! :-)

TexWisGirl said...

adorable little birds! they've not returned to this part of texas, yet!

Margaret said...

My youngest son (7) comes with me for short bird watching jaunts. We saw a cute little bird and he reminded us of one of his Pokemon toys. I had to go to my birding book - but it was a male Oregon dark eyed Junco. He walked on the boardwalk and hoped down into the brush and hopped along the ground. I also saw one at my bird feeder at home. Haven't noticed the other types, but I have camera ready and books at hand. :)

Margaret said...

… at my bird feeder was an "ordinary" bird until I photographed it and zoomed in and I loved the yellow markings above the eye and the white/black/brown markings - it is a White-throated Sparrow. It really is fun getting to know all the birds by name.