Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Acadian Flycatcher along the Little Miami River

…along with Angry Birds and Disappearing Cardinals, Friday’s walk along the Little Miami brought in close-up views of an Acadian Flycatcher (Empidonax virescens). He’s not the flashiest of all the spring migrants along the river, but he is fun to watch as he flies out to hawk insects…and he is noisy too. He didn’t shout out his “peet-sa” call at all while I photographed him, but he had been singing shortly before I found him sitting on a branch overhanging the trail...looking for something to eat...


I always hear these little birds before I see them.
The standard mnemonics for his call is a quick "Peet-sa" (click here for a link to the call).



...his pinkish, yellowish lower mandible is so cute...


...upper mandible is dark...


...I'm not sure, but this might be a Stink Eye.


The Acadian Flycatcher is a riparian corridor bird of Ohio (click here for details),
and one of the best indicator species of riparian quality.


...a glimpse of his broad, flat bill. For the size of his little head, he really does have a big mouth!
It must make catching insects mid-air easier...

For an earlier post with a little more info on the Acadian Flycatcher, click here.

Beak Bit
A riparian corridor is a mature woodland growing along a river or stream. With the Little Miami, this forested river corridor offers an unbroken stretch of woodland (which gets harder and harder to find) offering ideal habitat for the woodland warblers and spring migrants. Since the Acadian Flycatcher is one of the best "indicator species" of riparian quality, I'm always happy to hear his happy call. If the Acadian Flycatcher is living along its banks, the Little Miami river corridor is doing well and is free of pollution!

For more information on indicator species, click here.
For more information on riparian corridor birds of Ohio rivers, click here.
For more information on riparian corridors or a riparian zone, click here.

13 comments:

Out on the prairie said...

I enjoyed listening to its call. I sighted one last year while trout fishing.

TexWisGirl said...

he's very cute. thanks for providing the link to his 'peet-sa' pert little sound. :)

Grizz………… said...

I always enjoy this neat little bird—especially his sudden, explosive call. Wooded stream corridors are wonderful places for birds and wildflowers, and just about every other sort of critter. Living beside a river, I'm convinced that practically anything you can name will eventually show up. Great shots!

forgetmenot said...

Excellent photos of this cute little guy. Many times I will hear the finches chirping away. I know there are several of them sitting in a big ash tree, but I can't ever locate one. Hard to take a picture of something you can't see!!! Have a lovely day. Mickie :)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Neat little bird... I enjoyed hearing his 'sound' Kelly... The Little Miami sound like a wonderful bird sanctuary... Glad they have that special place...

What's up with the Cardinals?? Have you read anything?

Don't miss my blog today.
Hugs,
Betsy

Laure Ferlita said...

Love the stink eye shot and your sense of humor!

Janice K said...

This little bird seems to blend so perfectly into his background with all the yellows and greens. Beautiful pictures!

Andrew Lane Gibson said...

One of the first woodland birds I learned as a young boy. I always referred to it as the "pizza bird" since his call sounds like he's requesting every little kids favorite food :)

Elaine said...

He may not be flashy but he is very cute. Nice series of photos and good information.

Felicia said...

I love those little flycatchers--they're quite spirited, even though they're not terribly colorful. Thanks for the info about their role as a diagnostic species for riparian corridors. That makes your sighting even more lucky!

Montanagirl said...

Very interesting bird, and nice photos of him!

Mary Howell Cromer said...

What lovely little birds and I think we have them here too...living so near to where you are~

Kelly said...

Prairie...I love his call too. It's such a feeling of spring!

Tex...thank you!

Grizz...you're so lucky to live next to the Little Miami. It was a great choice!! I love listening to him every time I'm at the river.

Mickie...It's hard to spot them sometimes, especially as the leaves keep coming in thicker!!

Betsy...the Disappearing Cardinals refers to the post a few days ago about the cardinal trying to hide from me behind the branch! :-)

Laure...thank you...:-D

Janice...You're right, camouflage should be his middle name!! :-)

Andrew...hehe...we call him the pizza bird too! :-)

Elaine.... :-)

Felicia...thank you! So true...I hope I always get to hear him at the river!! If I don't, we have trouble...

Mona...thank you!! (Not quite as colorful as the birds visiting your feeders now!)

Mary...if you have a creek or river...or ravine... you probably do. Just listen for that explosive call and you'll spot one! :-)