Thursday, November 26, 2009

Red-shouldered Hawk at Fort Ancient

After finishing the Mound Trail loop, I walked up the gravel road toward the Twin Mounds, and there, across the street in a large tree at the forest's edge sat a Red-shouldered Hawk. He was beautiful, and his red shoulder patches really stood out.

This gorgeous Red-shouldered Hawk (Buteo lineatus) was perched near the second mound across the street. He surveyed the land, keeping watch with a sharp eye.

I stood there and watched him. Eventually, he grew bored, or maybe suspicious of me, and flew to the tree closest to the second mound. He was beautiful in flight, and although not the best or sharpest photos, they show his lovely field marks fairly well.

Look at that flash of rusty red on his shoulder. I always love to see that field mark, and the narrow white bands on his tail feathers.

I don't get to see Red-shouldered Hawks quite as often as I do Cooper's or Red-tailed Hawks, so I always stop and watch them for as long as I can. I love the stockiness of this bird and his shorter tail.

...underneath, the contrast of the black and white striped wings and tail with the pale orange wash of bars on his chest and belly, always catches my eye.

Last winter we had a Red-shouldered Hawk drop in for a bite twice. Click here for those accounts. I wonder if we will see him again this winter?

The second mound of the Twin Mounds.
I'm going to have to do a few more posts on Ft. Ancient to talk about the mounds and show more shots of them. It's amazing to me to know this mound was built over 2000 years ago... We're so lucky it still remains.

22 comments:

holdingmoments said...

What a beauty he his, lovely markings on the feathers.
The last two flight shots Kelly, really show off his ID features.

FAB said...

Super images Kelly showing off those fieldmarks so clearly. This location is producing some excellent photo opportunities for you. FAB

Laure Ferlita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laure Ferlita said...

Such beauty. And so very deadly. Interesting package.

Beautiful images, Kelly!

Wai Yien said...

Cool, and I got Black Shouldered Kite to share.

NatureFootstep said...

it is soo beautiful, and you are so lucky to see them up close like that. Here those birds of prey are fairly rare and to see them like you do is almost impossible. At least I can see your photos. :)

Jayne said...

What great shots you got Kelly! Wow, you can really see those rusty shoulders!

Susan Ellis said...

Great photos Kelly, of a beautiful bird! well done!

Anonymous said...

Yes lovely markings Kelly. More colourful than most raptures we see.

Roy said...

Nice shots, especially the flight shots! I've heard a Red-shouldered yell from time to time (and you can't miss the distinctive call of these hawks) but haven't managed to spot one yet.

Chris said...

He is gorgeous! Wow, I'm all the time stunned by their huge eyes!!! What a beauty he is... I hope you will see it again this winter. Have a nice week-end!!

ShySongbird said...

What a stunning creature! A really handsome young man and of course your photos show him off so well.

Warren Baker said...

Special looking hawk that one Kelly. Your photo's show it off well, especially the flight shots

Anonymous said...

Whoo-hoo What a cool bird.

Diane said...

Beautiful pictures! He looks so majestic, but I'll keep my little cat away from him!

Tina said...

Great captures, Kelly, you really caught those field markings..I don't think I've ever seen a red-shouldered hawk up close and personal. You must have just been thrilled to spy him. He sure is a handsome fellow!!

oldcrow61 said...

He is indeed a beautiful bird.

Sharon said...

What a gorgeous looking bird! Great shots Kelly.

Chris Petrak said...

Good RSHA photos - are they fairly common in your area. In the NE, a friend tells me they use to be the common hawk, but that is in the past. Now the RTHA has taken over. Good views of the RS mean traveling (darn!)

Heather said...

Oh how beautiful, Kel. We had some young Red-Shoulders in our woods during the summer, but I haven't heard from them for months.

Mary said...

Wow...what a beauty and I love those spread winged shots! Terrific!

MjB said...

Fort Ancient is a great spot. Have you had a chance to visit the museum there? They have a number of art ojbects on display--mostly casts or copies--including a number of bird-related pieces. I bet you've already seen all that, though. It's interesting to think that when the site was in use 2000 years ago, there probably weren't trees in the areas we bird today:
http://ohsweb.ohiohistory.org/places/sw04/fa-01.shtml

Nice photos, by the way!