Friday, May 23, 2014

The boardwalk eagles at Magee Marsh...

I had heard there was an American Bald Eagle's nest along the boardwalk at Magee Marsh, but I didn't know where it was, and with all the excitement of nonstop warblers flitting all around, I forgot about it until I saw an adult eagle fly overhead with a fish in its talons...exciting! I started walking in the direction the eagle had flown and soon heard someone say, "the baby has popped up!" I followed their gaze and was amazed at how close the nest was to the boardwalk...

American Bald Eagle and eaglet at Magee Marsh (view from the parking lot).

Adult American Bald Eagle preening.

The view of the eagle's nest from the boardwalk. I was told this was the second year for the "boardwalk" eagles. This shot lets you see how large the aerie already has become. 

A severed gull's wing hanging in a tree was evidence of the nearby eagle's nest. The gull wing became a landmark of sorts, and I heard once or twice, "a Cape May Warbler is at the gull's wing," or  "possible golden-winged warbler at the gull's wing."

I photographed the eagle and eaglet during The Biggest Week in American Birding.
I'll get busy with warbler posts soon!

13 comments:

holdingmoments said...

What a fantastic sight Kelly.
Magnificent bird.

Sue said...

Very exciting!

When we lived in the U.P.--we were told of an eagles nest on the bike path. We had no trouble finding it because we were told to look for the "beavers dam in a tree"-LOL. And yep, that's what that huge nest looks like.
Glad you got to see the little one with momma. What a sight!

grammie g said...

Hi Kelly... What a wonderful opportunity to be able to photograph the magnificent eagle and the little
squirt!!
The warblers have hot and heavy this year, I have seen many and many are lifer! Got to share mine soon to!!

Grace

Bob Bushell said...

That is fabulous, Bald Eagle caught by you, lovely.

Kathy A. Johnson said...

Such a fierce looking bird! And the baby is so fuzzy and cute. Great shots--what a fantastic experience.

TexWisGirl said...

how wonderful!

FAB said...

Wonderful shots Kelly.

Seeing one that close would sure get my pulse racing!

Drew Griffin said...

WOW ! Thanks for the photos ! lovely
-Kat-

Carol E. said...

Thank you so much for sharing your amazing pictures with us! Absolutely breathtaking. Look at the size of that nest!!

Montanagirl said...

Hi Kelly. Wonderful shots of the Eagle! It's always a thrill to see one of the adults, let alone a baby too!

Janice K said...

How exciting. Neat pictures of mama and baby.

Kelly said...

...thank you, everyone!! I wonder how the baby is doing? I'll have to see if there is any news or more posts on the nest. I can't believe it's already more than two weeks since I was at the biggest week!

Elaine said...

Wonderful captures!